Romaine McNeil was born on November 13 1980 in the parish of Westmoreland, Jamaica. This young Caribbean artist is known for her provocative semi-abstract paintings – work that stems from her deep desire for self-exploration and growth. Having studied sculpture, painting and music at the Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts (EMCVP) in Kingston Jamaica, she has merged her passion for both music and the visual arts and this is evident in her artwork.
Viewers are captivated by the fluidity of style, her use of vibrant colours and often surreal use of musical symbology. She started exhibiting her work in 2007 and made an impact on the local at scene through the discussions that arose around her striking piece “Ashamed.” Her work carries a message, with titles like ‘Engulfed” ” Not Knowing” and “Resilience” which only hint at the depth of emotion conveyed on the canvas.
Romaine has showcased her work locally and overseas and had her first overseas solo exhibition at the Axum Gallery in St. Maarten in 2014. She continues to make waves with her thought-provoking pieces which incorporating a variety of styles and media.
“My goal is to express the thoughts and feelings that stir in the mind of the conscious individual and simply to communicate them using visual, creative mediums. Art is the freedom to enter into a world without judgement and to carve from that world the purest form of expression and emotion – to capture it before it becomes a memory, and to share that frozen moment for all to experience for themselves in their own way.
I wish to engage the viewer in an unspoken exchange of understanding and freedom that stems from my work, and to give each individual the opportunity to become a part of the finished product.” – RM
EDUCATION AND CAREER
1998-2002 Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts, Kingston Jamaica
- 2013 Winner of the Merit Award – Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC)
- 2014 Winner of the Merit Award – Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC)
- 2016 St Lucia Jazz and Arts Festival
- 2014 JCDC Jamaica Cultural Development Commission Art Show
- 2014 Auxum Art Gallery, St Maarten – Solo exhibition
- 2013 JCDC Jamaica Cultural Development Commission Art Show
- 2012 The Hungry Lion, Negril Jamaica – Solo exhibition
- 2011 Studio 174, Kingston Jamaica – Group Show
- 2007 Pegasus Gallery, Kingston Jamaica – Group exhibition
PUBLICATIONS & PRESS